For participants to explore the themes of environment through creating musical percussion
instruments usings household junk.
- The facilitator may chose to show participants an example of a junk percussion
performance prior to creating their instruments. This can be sourced from
- Explain to the participants that they are going to create percussion instruments from
the raw materials provided.
- Participants should work to create their instruments. Suggestions include:
- Glasses with different amounts of water in to change pitch
- Tin with paperclips inside
- Wind chimes
- Clingfilm stretched over a plastic container
- Matchboxes with matches inside.
- Dried rice or pasta in a container.
- When participants have created their instruments, the facilitator should start off a rhythmic workshop by taking an instrument and tapping out a rhythm. Participants
should then be encouraged to add to the rhythm one by one, creating junk percussion jam.